The role of mobile app development programming language in app success is tremendous, and the choice of programming technology depends on the selection of platform and framework. Therefore, you must consider your app type based on your requirements and select the appropriate programming language accordingly.
Now, people are mobile crazy and business looking their bright prospects in mobile users by creating apps for their businesses. It has increased the paramount importance of mobile app development and related things like programming languages.
Apart from developers, tech-savvy business executives also have gained a common understanding of various mobile app programming languages. For instance, they know about native app development languages based on different mobile OS platforms. They also know which programming languages are supporting the cross-platform development and which are commonly used in native as well as cross-platform app development using various frameworks.
So, for the sake of better comprehension, let me explain the best mobile app programming languages platform wise.
Programming Languages for iOS App Development
In early days, Apple Inc. has adopted Objective-C as native app development language for iOS application development. With the pace of time, improvement has taken place and released Swift as a contemporary iOS programming language.
It is a C-class language superset. It consists of tons of graphics-oriented functions and I/O. It is a part of Apple development framework and continues despite the emergence of Swift as more versatile and fast language. As its name suggests, Objective-C is pure object-oriented and classic type language. Therefore, for new generation developers, it proves a complex programming language to code a lot lines with complicated programming logic.
Such drawbacks have rendered it obsolete in a highly competitive mobile app development environment where demand for fast coding to meet deadlines is high. Moreover, testing becomes a lengthy and tedious process to segregate buggy code and logic.
To overcome the acute constraints of Objective-C, Apple Inc. has developed a new iOS programming language and named it Swift. It has following key features worth to mention.
- Short and easy learning curve compared to Objective-C
- Fast coding with a few lines but comprehensive logic
- Being an open source and open platform programming language project, it is evolving fast, and adaptation rate is quite high among the iOS and other mobile app developer communities.
- Although it borrowed from C++ and Objective-C, it differs significantly from the both and overcomes several constraints.
Programming Languages for Android App Development
Just like iOS ecosystem, Android too has recently declared its support for Kotlin after the prolonged honeymoon with Java. Let’s check both Android app development programming languages.
Earlier developed by Sun and now maintained by Oracle, Java is a huge software development language ecosystem. It was considered as enterprise software development language due to its intensive use in it. The key features are:
- It is completely object-oriented programming language for all types of software including Android mobile application development.
- It has a powerful virtual machine called JVM (Java Virtual Machine) and provides interpreters to turn programming code into binary code that any computing device can understand. Thus, it acts as a completely independent operating system.
- Thus, it provides universal code for various platforms ranging from the desktops, web, and mobile applications.
- It supports various APIs and simplifies
- Being an open source code platform, it has a number of huge libraries to support the latest coding trends and technologies.
Just like Swift of iOS app development, Google has recently announced Kotlin as an official Android programming language. It has following attractive key features.
- It is concise and compact programming language to enable fast coding
- Being a fully compatible with Java, Kotlin is easy to comprehend and maintain
- Unlike Java, it has simplified programming syntax and programming logic as well as an orientation towards mobile application development. So, it is pure app programming language at the present moment.
- It addresses security concerns beautifully.
- Being a native language, it provides native experiences and enables delivery of quality Android applications
Programming Languages for Cross-platform App Development
Cross-platform apps fall in between mobile web app and native mobile app categories. When it shows proximity towards native apps and deliver capacities to access more native hardware and software features, they termed as a cross-platform app. When it displays proximities to web apps, it termed as a hybrid app.
Therefore, cross-platform/hybrid app development frameworks are different in several aspects from each other and support different types of languages for app development.
HTML and CSS
Recent advancements in markup with the introduction of HTML 5 and CSS 3, enabled mobile app development using these legendary web development programming technologies. These languages provide cross-browser compatibility and have complete support for the latest mobile browsers.
HTML and CSS are basic programming languages for the web developers, and almost all developers working on the software for the web are accustomed to it.
It is Microsoft technology with object-oriented nature and befitting for mobile app development right from native Windows Phone to cross-platform app development using Xamarin like framework. It has the high caliber to offer completely native mobile app experiences for all types of mobile apps with excellent results.
It offers excellent development speed and favorite choice for Microsoft technology enthusiastic. It is simple to learn and usability. It has great access to native libraries.
Recent emerging trends towards IoT app development has drawn attention towards Python scripting language for programming cross-platform as well as cross-device applications thriving in IoT and other upcoming technologies ecosystems.
It is an object-oriented programming language with desired scalability and interactivity. It is simple to learn and code with strict syntax. It has specific libraries to interpret mobile devices.
We have seen that which language is the best fitting for which kinds of mobile app development. Each mobile app programming language has own pros and cons.
Therefore, the best way to find the suitable mobile app programming language for your next project is taking consulting services of seasoned mobile app developers at SysBunny. You will have an excellent choice of platform, framework, and programming languages to get the high-end mobile app at competitive rates.
Hemant Parmar is a veteran mobile app consultant. He is co-founder of the company. Thanks to his prolonged exposure to mobile application development projects for myriads of niches and industries, he is capable of providing high-end mobile app development consultancy. He is devoted to providing honest and transparent consultancy services for clienteles looking for righteous guidance to augment their niche services/products using the latest mobile technologies.